My own experience is that it is not the complexity of the product that is the key. It’s the complexity of the customer’s value chain and the hidden profit pools that open up the opportunity for Service based business models. Complexity is just more obvious where the equipment is seen as being highly technical or mission critical. But apparently simple products can also have a significant impact on the buyer’s business, which is disproportionate to their cost.
For example take industrial fasteners, that’s nuts and bolts to most of us. A seemingly simple product with no moving parts. But look closer and it is anything but simple:
- Typically only 20% of the total in place cost of a fastener is the cost of the fastener itself. The remaining 80% is made up of the assembly time, the logistics costs, quality, purchasing, and engineering.
- Fasteners are an operational pain in relation to their value! In a typical car assembly plant fasteners make up 2% of the value, but represent 25% of the parts in the assembly plant.
- A 50p part can stop a multi-million pound production line, cause major recalls or at worse a fatal accident: The part may be perceived as simple, but the performance is often critical to safety, or integral to the assembly process.
Suppliers who have developed solutions to these business problems, have grown faster and are more profitable.
Take the UK industrial fastener market that over a period of 30 years has transformed from being dominated by manufacturers, to Just-In-Time (JIT) distributors who now have near 80% market share. In this market, customers put greater value on simplifying their supply chain than on fastener innovation. They felt that they could gain more value from a single JIT supplier. Having product delivered to line-side only when they needed it, saved logistics and buying costs as well as enhanced cash flow. Access to a low cost, high quality global supply base enables distributors to offer competitive pricing, so further reducing the cost of the Bill of Material.
In the Automotive OEM segment, value is perceived very differently. OEM’s want to engineer cost out of the product through better design that reduces the assembly costs, part number complexity, and injects the manufacturers expertise directly into the design teams. So for example Ford Europe have reduced their fastener supply base from 150+ to 3 or 4 strategic Full Service Providers. These companies provide engineering, logistics, purchasing and manufacturing services to deliver a full bill of material to the point of fit in their vehicle and engine assembly plants. Other OEM’s such as BMW Mini, Land Rover and Jaguar have all implemented similar programmes.
The key lesson is that it is not the products complexity that is key to being able to increase value through services, but the difference you can make to your customer’s value chain.
Article originally published in The Manufacturer magazine July/August 2015
Join the Community and Kick-off Meeting in Seeheim, Germany on December 4th, 2018
We are building a community of service in industry professionals -business leaders, management practitioners, digitization experts, technical experts, innovators, technologists, consultants, academics, and investors.
Join our community to receive articles, briefings, guides, news analysis and more. And, from November 2018, to find out about events and collaboration.
December 4th 29th, 2018: Service in Industry Community Kick-off Meeting in Seeheim, Germany - Shaping Service Business in the Digital Era
For more information click here to find out more, and you can also shape the agenda by taking the survey. If you join we'll keep you updated on the planning.